20081112

In which we're cutting it close

Ok. So we just got back in from a movie (JCVD) and it's after 11 and I have to get up at 5:30 to make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for work tomorrow because it's my boss's birthday.
But I need to post.

I'm making Leah's Taco Soup tonight. Here is the recipe, in her own words. I'll be back tomorrow to tell you how it went.

If I could only have one meal for the rest of my life, it would probably be this. I would consider bathing in it. I call it "taco soup" but it is probably closer to a chili. It makes A LOT. I usually end up snacking on it all weekend and freezing leftovers. It takes about 10 minutes to make---the longest part is cooking the meat. The rest is dumping cans in a pot. Oh man, I think I will make this on Saturday!

Leah's "Taco Soup"


1 lb ground beef (I use turkey. Tastes the same!)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can Ro-Tel
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can hominy (tastes like little cornbread balls in the soup!)
1 pkg taco seasoning dry mix
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch dressing dry mix

Brown the meet. Pour off the grease. Add chopped onion and cook on medium heat until tender or 5 minutes. Add all the cans (do not drain. You want the juices.) Add taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix. It's ready to eat but if you let it simmer 20-30 minutes it's even tastier!
Serve with your favorite toppings. Good with cornbread. We like fritos, chopped onion and shredded cheese. I add a few dashes of hot sauce if I'm feeling feisty.


Editor's note -- I have no idea what Ro-Tel is. I had to Google it, and I couldn't find it at Whole Foods or on Fresh Direct. But Muir Glen makes fire roasted diced tomatoes wtih chipotle peppers, and I feel like that's close enough.

The onions just went in. For the first time ever, I'm not salting, because I know that canned beans and stuff are very salty. SO, I'll tell you about the deliciousness as soon as I can keep my eyes open long enough to post it tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM

    does ro-tel knowledge make me southern or you northern?! have you never made queso with the block of velveta and a can of ro-tel? oh man....i feel like a hick. a hick who knows tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made queso. We get that out of a jar, which we put into a microwave. And I know that Velveeta comes in a block, but I've never purchased it. Again, we get this out of a jar. I never saw it in a store at home, but that means nothing. I'm in a culinary metropolis, dammit. i should be able to find RoTel if I need to. :)

    ReplyDelete