20080818

In which I give in to temptation

I will admit it, I am highly suggestable. One post like this one on Smitten Kitchen, and I'm dead meat. So of course, I casually slid dishes into our weekly menu that will feature slow-roasted tomatoes. I'm sneaky.
Jesse and I went grocery shopping on Saturday, and we stopped at the Union Square Greenmarket, because we have a lot of tomato-heavy dishes, plus a sangria, in the plans and what better way to make yummy dishes than with actual ingredients from an actual farm, instead of from Whole Foods? So, we bought a pint of little yellow teardrop tomatoes, a pint of red cherry tomatoes, and one big honking ugly/beautiful green heirloom tomato which I will be using in a tomato/red onion salad tomorrow night.
Anyways.
Saturday night we made mussels, and hit the mother lode as far as live ones are concerned -- we had a grand total of 3 casualties in the whole 4 pounds of mussels!! I was shocked, to say the least. And thrilled. Ecstatic. Gleeful!! So I used the same recipe as I've used in previous efforts and had similar success. The sauce-to-bread ratio was much better this time. Basically, everything was just more wonderful this time. Happydays.
While we were enjoying some good food this weekend, we were also trying like crazyfolk to put our apartment to rights. I have painted the kitchen archway, and the stripe on the living room wall. My clothes are put away. All the bookshelves have been built by my wonderful, handsome boyfriend, as have a filing cabinet and a set of shelves. Books are being unpacked. Slow-roasting tomatoes for 3 hours was the perfect preparation, considering that I could set them up and leave them while unpacking.
After htey finished, Jesse made me a pie crust, and I made a quiche with the tomatoes as the centerpiece - egg, bacon, shallots, green peppers, some pulverized roasted garlic cloves from the slow-roasting, and gruyere, lots of shredded gruyere, with the tomatoes dropped in, cut-side-up after the egg mix went into the blind-baked crust. It was great, and we had left-overs for brekkie this morning. Good times.
To use up the rest of the tomatoes, I made soup. When I put the quiche in, I also started sweating some celery and another shallot. When they got all soft and clear, I added about 2 cups of chicken stock-in-a-box, and when that boiled, the tomatoes and garlic cloves that were left. That simmered for about 15 minutes, and then I blended the whole thing up with my immersion blender! Woohoo!
Once the blending was complete, the quiche came out of the oven, and while it was cooling I poured some milk into the soup, to cut the acid and thin it out a little.
We had the roasted garlic and tomato soup as a first course, and then the quiche. And of course, we topped off the night with amazing ice cream sundaes!! Please, if you ever see Herrell's Peppermint Hot Fudge in a jar at Whole Foods (or anywhere else...) BUY IT!!! It will change your life, I swear.
Ok kids, until next time, in which we lasagna-fy enchiladas!

2 comments:

  1. Wow does that quiche sound good. I'm still thinking about it and I don't even much care for tomatoes. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete