20080521

In which we get our sexy back.

Finally, after basically the first week off since March, Jesse and I went shopping for our weekly list of groceries again, to make our weekly menu.

Tonight was supposed to be simple. It was supposed to be soup and sandwiches. But I decided last night that I was feeling ambitious. I decided I didn't want to just eat boxed soup. So I decided that we would have Tomato Blue-Cheese Soup out of my Soup Bible.

This soup is delicious.

Both Jesse and I love Blue Cheese, and I'm not going to lie, I could eat Hale & Hearty Soup's Tomato Cheddar soup 4 days a week. So, this was a total win.

Step 1:
Cut 3 pounds of tomatoes into quarters, cut out the core, and squish out the seeds. Put them in a baking pan and add 3 smashed and chopped up cloves of garlic, some salt, pepper, and olive oil. Put this all in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes:



Step 2:
Chop up 1 leek and 1 carrot. Put them into your sauce pot with about 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 of vegetable oil. Add some salt, and sweat (cook on low while they let out their water and get mushy) for about 10 minutes (this would be the last 10 minutes that the tomatoes are roasting.):



Step 3:
Add about a quart and a half of chicken stock to the pot, along with the roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes (I found that basically what I did was spend 10 minutes fishing the tomato skins out of the pot, and 10 minutes simmering it covered):


This is what it looks like right before you blend it:




Then, you add 3 tablespoons of cream, and "4 ounces" of blue cheese (I used about what looked right to me. Estimate. Taste taste taste!!!). Then, you throw in about 1 sprig of parsley, take it off the heat, and blend it. You can either pour it into your blender, or food processor, or you can do what I do, and use your immersion blender:



And then, you dish it up and eat it happily. I decided to put this soup in front of its picture in the book. As a sidenote, I don't have any way of holding my cookbooks when I cook, so if anyone feels like building or buying me a cookbook holder, I'd be ecstatic. Right now, my books usually sit on the chair under my work surface, or on the shelf above my head. It's not an awesome time, but it's better than nothing.

Anyways, here's my cookbook on the table, with the zoup, which was delicious:
I highly recommend this recipe. Try it, you'll like it!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Om nom nom nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:45 PM

    seriously lady, you come home from WORK and do all this WORK? i am constantly impressed! -leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steele and I have a cookbook holder we NEVER use! I think I could convince him to donate it... :)

    ReplyDelete